Praise God with trumpets, lute and harp, with timbrel and dance, with stringed instruments and organs, loud crashing cymbals…let everything that has breath praise the Lord!” Psalm 150:5-6
A parish located in Port Huron, MI. Grace seeks a Director of Music Ministry with passion, innovation, commitment and competence. Our new director will build, develop and lead the music of Grace. This includes our adult choir, instrumentalists and children’s choir. The position requires flexibility, creativity, self-direction and spirit as Grace responds to God’s call to build, grow and serve.
- Actively invite, train and teach choir members and musicians to use their gifts.
- Coordinate with the priest in charge to plan worship, and build a loving, grace filled, creative atmosphere for worship.
- Arrange regular rehearsals for choirs and ensembles as needed during the program year (Sept.-June).
- Provide music at our 10:00 AM Sunday service including but not limited to playing the organ, playing piano, choir anthems, and children’s choir anthems.
- Arrange appropriate vocal support or guest musicians for worship during summer months.
- Participate in the ongoing development of the parish music resources; researching, selecting, and developing the music library.
- Participate in the creative planning of Sunday and special services (Holy Week, Ash Wednesday, etc.) with Christian Education Director and Rector.
- Direct outreach events into the community via performances at other organizations as appropriate or invite other performing groups to use our glorious spaces.
- Encourage and strengthen congregational singing through strong musical direction including leading music from the front of the church when appropriate.
- A love of children and their joyful noise unto the Lord
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians
- Sense of humor, positive attitude and growth mindset
- Strong team player with the rest of the staff and congregation
- Committed to the church’s vision, leadership, and people
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative
- Sufficient knowledge of appropriate church music (classical, contemporary, folk and gospel), and the role of music in Episcopal worship (scripture, liturgy and church seasons) or the willingness
- Bachelors degree in Music, although we are willing to review other candidates who possess the musical competencies and organizational skills necessary to develop our music program
- Able to play piano, keyboard and willingness to develop skills as an organist
- Able to direct adult choir and children’s choir
- Able to direct, develop and create instrumental opportunities
Hours of work
This is a salaried position of 10-15 hours per week for 50 weeks per year with two weeks paid vacation, budgeted at $15,000 to $25,000 depending on experience and qualifications. The Director may play for funerals and weddings for additional compensation.
The Director of Music Ministry shall adapt their schedule to meet the special demands of both Advent/Christmas and Lent/Holy Week. The Director of Music Ministry shall be allowed to maintain a flexible schedule, providing they are present at services, rehearsals and meetings as scheduled. Vacation time will be negotiated.
Those interested in this position should send a letter of interest and current resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org by February 5, 2015.
The Rev. Lydia Agnew Speller
Grace Episcopal Church
1213 Sixth Street
Port Huron, MI 48060